Grassroots working families prioritise generating income to attain household livelihood over pursuing sustainable and healthy body-mind functions. Multiple factors have contributed to this phenomenon, including little social support from community and government, lack of awareness, knowledge and skills of healthy lifestyle, as well as a suboptimal access to available resources due to a tight working schedule. Failure in maintaining good health results in poor quality of life and a deteriorating work capacity, leading to a vicious cycle.
Regarding our experience with health projects for working poor families in Hong Kong which started in 2015. HIA believes our community should establish an equitable health system and all involved should be empowered to take responsibility for one’s health. Therefore we had launched a 2-year project named “ Healthy Living Project for Working Poor Families in Kwai Tsing District ”.
Project Aims: To enrich the participants on their capacity and knowledge in health maintenance, as well as encouraging the use of public health facilities. By doing so, one can avoid the negative effect of disease on life and work, thus, breaking the vicious cycle where the inability to remain healthy leads to a decrease in income.
1) Kwai Tsing District working poor and their families^ can apply to become our members and enjoy designated services.
^ defined as the individuals or the families who are receiving or eligible for one of the following allowance schemes:
- Working family allowance
- Financial Assistance Schemes of The Student Finance Office
- Work Incentive Transport Subsidy Scheme of Labour Department
- The medical fee waiver for public healthcare services
Please call us for other information.
2) Those who are concerned about health in other districts are also welcome to enquire and participate in our health talks or other services.
Service Item: Family health management program, Health education, Group training and Health screening etc.